The University of New Brunswick agrees to provide to the Association and make readily available to the University Community on or before February 1 a list of all academic and non-academic organizational units. The list will show the number of full-time AUNBT and non-AUNBT employees in each unit throughout the preceding calendar year, by academic rank or employment classification. For full-time Association members, the list will also specify the numbers of tenure, tenure stream and term appointees as of October 1 by department (where applicable) and faculty.
Article 13.04 of the Full-Time Collective Agreement
Complement and other data are now available online in the University Fact Book maintained by UNB’s Office of Institutional Analysis, as well as in the President’s annual reports to UNB Senates. Both include complement data by rank and by gender. However, the files posted by the Office of Institutional Analysis currently (March 2018) go only up to 2015, and data are presented in a course-grained manner: the University Fact Book gives FTE Complement by Portfolio, that is, by Faculty, but not by Department where relevant. The University has finer-grained data which it provides to AUNBT. It is not clear why these more detailed datasets are not made readily available to the University Community.
AUNBT is therefore posting the complement information from UNB. Apart from reformatting the files for the web and correcting some addition errors, the data are as received from UNB. Original files (pdf) are linked at the bottom of the page.
We encourage members to verify the complement data and let us know of any discrepancies for their units:
- Tenure-Track Complement (2012-2017)
- Full-Time Limited Term Complement (2012-2017)
- All Full-time Complement (2012-2017)
The University’s full-time complement data do not reconcile with AUNBT full-time membership count:
|UNB FT Complement Data (tenure-track and FT limited term)||638||627||627||624||614||609|
|AUNBT FT Membership Data (tenure track and FT limited term)||580||567||561||558||559||560|
The notes below may partially explain the discrepancy, but we have not yet received a satisfactory explanation:
- UNB complement count includes more than full-time AUNBT members at a given time; it includes Deans, Associate and Assistant Deans, as well as some senior administrators. Therefore UNB data overestimates the number of full-time AUNBT members. We requested these positions to be displayed separately; they appear in the “AUR” column of UNB’s complement data starting from 2015.
- For example, UNB complement count for October 2016 (see p.1 of the pdf, “AUR” column) includes 49 non-AUNBT positions (41 at UNBF, 8 at UNBSJ); the number is similar in the UNB complement count for October 2015, which includes 48 non-AUNBT positions (39 at UNBF and 9 at UNBSJ). This does not fully explain the discrepancy.
- The data are a snapshot of full-time complement on October 1 of each year; this includes full-time limited term positions on 8 or 10-month contracts. The numbers may therefore be different if the snapshot were taken at a different time of the year, for example in July. However, AUNBT FT membership count given above is also an October 1 snapshot, and should in theory match with UNB data.
- Finally, some administrative positions are counted by UNB as “full-time limited term”. In some cases they are in fact tenure-track positions held by non-AUNBT members, for example Assistant VP Fredericton (Academic).
Starting with the 2014 dataset, positions shared between units are recorded using decimal amounts. While it may seem odd, and can sometimes result in rounding errors, we welcome the University’s effort to improve the accuracy of its complement reports.
UNB files (pdf):